Welcome to Scratch’n the Surface here at Energycoil. This is the beginning of many more posts to come in a Blog we are calling “Scratch’n the Surface” and in those posts we will cover all kinds of everyday performance topics. Whether it be how to get the most out of your every day ride or sharing our experiences of winning championships and those that have helped us along the way. So in this the first post, ¬†how about we just get to know how the vision for Energycoil started out.

It all came about in deep thought problem, solving an engines performance. As I viewed the data acquisition it became apparent that this engines high end rpm issue was not the tune up nor was it a mechanical issue but rather electrical issues. Now as any good tuner and engine builder will tell you “Good is never good enough, you can always go faster and be more consistent”. This one particular engine configuration I had been working with for over 7 years and had done very well with the combination it just seem to be lacking on ignition spark strength and consistency. As we developed this engine combination over 7 years we started pushing it further and further up the rpm scale. With higher rpm comes a whole new set of issues you did not have 1600 rpm ago. Running a engine at 9800 rpm is one thing but when you take that combination and develop valve train and the bottom end to start spinning over to 11,400 the game changes quite rapidly of what the engine needs to make it produce to it’s full potential.

With the increased rpm we now started noticing more high frequency interference issues. Because as cylinder pressure increases so does the frequency of the ignition system from having to work harder. Simply from the coil having to produce more voltage(demand) to initiate spark and quicker charge(response) with the increased rpm and cylinder pressure it started to produce more high frequency and misfires became more common place then they were at 9800-10,400. Now the one thing I knew was it’s just a matter of time and these issues would nip us in the butt and cost us a win. So I went to work researching and developing a solution to what the data was showing me.

What I discovered is that no one had developed a replacement coil for this engine configuration other than the original OEM manufacture. In order to create a solution or at least apply the theory of more energy in = more energy out it would take work. Like my grandfather would say to me “If your going to be a pioneer you better expect a couple of arrows in the arse” so I knew this was going to take time to find a solution. The production coil was a “coil over plug” system which has the coil above the spark plug and it is connected to the plug via a spring in the plug boot. I knew of “coil on plug” systems that directly connected the charged coil to the spark plug were being used in some forms of motosports. Albeit very effective they were costly and not widely available to the everyday individual. So the hunt was on for a capable engineer that would understand what was needed and design a solution to fit our needs. It took some time but I finally found the engineering help I needed and the race was on so to speak.

In the next post I will continue on with the journey that has brought us to where we are today and where we are headed in the future of coil on plug technology. So for now enjoy having the wind in your face and have a great day!

No Comment

Comments are closed.